Tuesday, January 13, 2009

D&C Lesson 4: Remember the New Covenant

The miracle of the Book of Mormon’s preservation

Satan tried to stop the coming forth of the Book of Mormon. He tempted men to try to steal the gold plates, and people continued to persecute Joseph Smith and his family.

Joseph Smith—History 1:60 I soon found out the reason why I had received such strict charges to keep them safe, and why it was that the messenger had said that when I had done what was required at my hand, he would call for them. For no sooner was it known that I had them, than the most strenuous exertions were used to get them from me. Every stratagem that could be invented was resorted to for that purpose. The persecution became more bitter and severe than before, and multitudes were on the alert continually to get them from me if possible. But by the wisdom of God, they remained safe in my hands, until I had accomplished by them what was required at my hand. When, according to arrangements, the messenger called for them, I delivered them up to him; and he has them in his charge until this day, being the second day of May, one thousand eight hundred and thirty-eight.

Joseph was frequently warned when mobs were coming to try to find the plates.

Joseph Smith: "The house was frequently beset by mobs and evil designing persons, … and every device was made use of to get the plates away from me."

He hid the plates in many different places:

  • Under the hearthstones in the Smith kitchen
  • In a quantity of flax that had been stored away in the loft of a cooper's shop that at the time stood across the road from the Smith home, and then hidden under the floor of the coopers shop; later that night, the mob ransacked the cooper’s shop, but did not enter the Smith home. In the morning the family found the cooper's shop door broken down, the floor torn up and the chest shivered to splinters, but the record was secure where it had been hidden
  • En route to Harmony by wagon, the plates were hidden in a barrel of beans; twice Joseph was stopped on the road with a search warrant, but the plates were not discovered.
  • Moroni himself even transported the plates between Harmony and Palmyra on behalf of Joseph.

David Whitmer recorded: When I was returning to Fayette, with Joseph and Oliver all of us riding in the wagon, Oliver and I on an old fashioned, wooden spring seat, and Joseph behind us – when traveling along in a clear, open place, a very pleasant, nice looking old man suddenly appeared by the side of our wagon and saluted us with, 'Good morning; it is very warm;' at the same time wiping his face or forehead with his hand. We returned the salutation, and by a sign from Joseph, I invited him to ride if he was going our way. But he said very pleasantly, 'No, I am going to Cumorah.' This name was somewhat new to me, and I did not know what 'Cumorah' meant. We all gazed at him and at each other, and as I looked round inquiringly of Joseph, the old man instantly disappeared, so that I did not see him again… It was the messenger who had the plates, who had taken them from Joseph just prior to our starting from Harmony. (Comprehensive History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, vol. 1, Chapter X, by B. H. Roberts)